Thanks for visiting my website!
My name is Michael Urbonas. I am…
- a product marketing professional: A developer of unique product positioning and messaging; an articulate communicator of true business value; a solutions-focused, industry-focused marketer
- a successful collaborator and sales enabler, cultivating strong cross-functional working relationships to achieve key business goals and boost revenue
- a longtime analytics/BI/data management product marketer, consultant and ‘power user’
- a creator of thought leadership content and guest speaker at technology conferences in the US and Europe
- a leader with a record of success as former President of the Boston Product Management Association, the largest regional professional group for product managers and marketers in the U.S.
- technically savvy and business savvy, with extensive experience in software product marketing, as well as business experience including financial planning & analysis and corporate accounting
- I strive to be innovative, creative, proactive, pragmatic, persuasive, and results-oriented.
I have served product marketing leadership roles at fast-growing software/SaaS vendors focused on EIM, CXM, CMS, big data analytics and enterprise search; currently as Director of Product Marketing at Nuxeo and previously at Ektron, Attivio, Blackboard Analytics and Datawatch. I have a record of success creating and delivering compelling product positioning, messaging and sales enablement that drive sales leads and revenue.
Working closely with customers over the years, I have developed industry domain experience within several verticals, including digital media/e-commerce, financial services, retail/hospitality, manufacturing/ERP, higher education, healthcare and compliance/audit.
Prior to my product marketing career, I served as a lead Cognos BI sales engineer and field consultant for JGI’s (Janis Group) ERP business practice, working closely with manufacturing customers to define and fulfill enterprise reporting and analytical needs. My roots in effective use of analytics and business intelligence span back to my initial career in financial planning & analysis and accounting, becoming a ‘power user’ of Excel and BI technology in the process.
I earned my MBA from Bentley University, with a concentration in information technology. I also hold an undergraduate business degree in finance and management from Northeastern University.
I co-founded the Bentley Success Network, an alumni group focused on career networking and development, and also served as a member of the Bentley Graduate Alumni Committee.
Professional Associations and Training
From 2005 thru 2007, I served the Boston Product Management Association (BPMA) as President and Director of Publications, founding and serving as contributing editor of Productivity, the first e-newsletter of the BPMA. During my tenure, the BPMA board of directors and I boosted the number of registered BPMA members from 1,300 to over 2,000, and established a long-term strategic plan for a new website and new member services that are now in place today.
I have also completed Pragmatic Marketing training in product marketing and product management, as well as Solution Selling and Challenger Sale training.
Disclosures and Disclaimers
This blog is not a “commercial” site. Any ads appearing on the site are from WordPress.com, the friendly folks who provide a free (and truly great) blogging platform. I gain no direct revenue from this blog or any content appearing within this blog.
All content on this website © 2009-2016 Michael J. Urbonas and licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.
All opinions expressed within this site (as well as my Twitter account @mikeurbonas) are entirely my own. None of my blog articles or tweets has ever been reviewed, edited or approved in any way by my current or former employers and does not necessarily reflect their views.
All content appearing on this blog not created by me (e.g., images, graphics, quoted text, etc.) appear with full acknowledgement of site source and links to original material whenever possible, with the intention that all material used is authorized under Creative Commons license or is used on a “fair use” basis with no violation of copyright; however, if you see any content warranting any concern, please contact me for immediate corrective action.